Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • Cape Point Tour
  • AfricaCam Virtual Game Reserve
  • Google Earth
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

    Wednesday, August 10, 2005

    Snake

    The snake had been kept in the tank for about two weeks. She was a fat and beautiful puff adder. Her brown and cream markings were a perfect foil for the landscape of rocks and sand she lived in. I used to look at her curled up in her glass prison. The owners of the nature reserve had decided she needed to be some sort of show-and- tell display.

    So she stayed and I watched her. The nature conservation authorities arrived one Wednesday morning to look at her. “No” was the verdict “You can’t keep her here in this too-small tank, and besides you don’t have a permit. So she has to go, let her out immediately!”

    And so the tank was taken outside and she was nudged onto the ground with a stick. Her cold body struggled to move. She just didn’t have any energy without the sun.

    But now she was free.

    “How awful” said the owners. “The tourists really loved to look at her, I wonder how they knew we were keeping her?”

    “Yes such shame” I agreed, “I have no idea who would have done it”.

    And I swear I looked completely believable.

    6 Comments:

    At 12:35 PM, Blogger Fist said...

    I wish... that story had been about a creature I like! Good one though.

     
    At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    it was....about a creature you like...me!

     
    At 7:02 PM, Blogger {illyria} said...

    you write splendidly about nature. like you were born to do it. i don't know how you ever stopped.

    and now that you've started, i just hope it goes on and on.

    will be back to catch up on all the stuff you've written. for now, work! =)

     
    At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks trans! I am not sure what I was born to write, something, I hope!I wish I could catch up on all your posts actually, the older ones -but my browser is so slow that your site is hard to navigate. I am getting extra RAM power tomorrow, hope that helps somewhat. Opera is also making it a bit easier!

     
    At 10:11 AM, Blogger sarah said...

    i'm glad you rescued her.

     
    At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    me too, I am sneaky like that. Bugger them, she deserved it!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Blogarama - The Blogs Directory