Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • Cape Point Tour
  • AfricaCam Virtual Game Reserve
  • Google Earth
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

    Sunday, August 07, 2005

    Why "The Lava Lamp"?

    Why “The Lava Lamp”?

    Did you know that the earth’s centre is made of iron? That’s right, we live on iron! The middle of our world is enormous, almost the size of our moon. Temperatures in the earth’s core typically reach 5000 ºC. The planet we live on is…hot.

    But there is more…

    Surrounding the earth’s inner core is the mantle (are your geography lessons coming back to you?). The mantle is really the bulk of earth and is made up of (you guessed it) hot rock. So, in essence we are living on…lava.

    This combination of iron and molten rock is the earth that feels so solid beneath our feet. It is here that the real work of life on earth occurs. As we sleep, powerful convection cycles continue to shape our earthly home. And yet our world is delicate.

    I hope to illuminate just how fragile this iron-driven world can be if we let it.

    Thus...”The Lamp”.

    Whether it’s a monsoon in Mumbai, a sick pig in China, or a starving child in Niger, I want to bring you a little sense of what I believe to be the inter-connectedness of all things. The issues I want to shine a spotlight on here are the same things I am learning myself. There has to be something important about the way the earth impacts us. There must be something crucial in the way we impact on our world. Why then, don’t we pay it more attention?

    Not all of what you will read here is new information. It is, however, information that is often either ignored, forgotten or that we simply just aren’t aware of. Not all of what I do on this Blog will matter, but I hope some of it will. I think we all need to become more aware of the planet we live on.

    I am not taken to crumbling in the face of adversity. I am not that kind of sensitive, but I am sensitive. Being sensitive can sometimes mean doing nothing. Being sensitive can also mean taking action. It can also mean allowing others to take responsibility for their actions so that they might learn from them.

    The earth might benefit from an increased sensitivity in all these forms as can we in our own lives.

    Feel free to comment as much as you like. I would like this offering to be for all of us…on the hot planet.

    1 Comments:

    At 12:30 PM, Blogger Fist said...

    Hello you. Sometimes I prefer Jules Verne's version of the centre of the earth - it's full of giant mushrooms. Anyway, good to see you back to blogging goodness.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Blogarama - The Blogs Directory